The organ at St. George's Episcopal Church is a three-manual electro-pneumatic Austin organ installed in 1931. It has five divisions (Great, Swell, Choir, Antiphonal and Pedal) and 63 ranks of pipes. A new console was installed in 1970, and additions were made to the Great division in 1977. The pipes for the Swell, Great, Choir and Pedal divisions are located on the left side of the chancel at the altar area, enclosed within the stone walls. Facade pipes are visible from the chancel area. The Antiphonal division is located at the rear of the nave with all exposed pipes, and may be played from the Great and Choir keyboards and the Pedal. The console is on the right side of the chancel area.
The Austin organ features a combination action with 12 general pistons and 8 divisional pistons for Swell, Great and Choir. There are also 8 Pedal toe studs, a Tutti stop, a Great/Pedal reversible stop and toe stud and a Swell/Pedal reversible stop and toe stud. The Great and Choir divisons are under expression from the same box, and the Swell division is under expression from an independent box. The organ also has a Crescendo expression box.
Special features includes Tremolos on the Swell, Great and Choir divisions, and 16-8-4-unison off couplers for these manual divisions, plus 8-4 couplers for the Pedal division. The organ also has a Chime stop that sounds for two octaves from f/1 to f/3.
The organ is currently serviced by Charles Gibson of New Jersey.
-Lou Carol Fix
St. George's mission is to share together God's work in our lives through liturgy and sacrament, through joyous and caring fellowship, and through courageous and compassionate engagement with the world.
Copyright 2011 St. George's Episcopal Church. All rights reserved.